How to Get a TESOL, TEFL, CELTA and Why these certificates are Important!

Hey guys, Preston here with another episode of Grappler Going Abroad. I did a video about this about a month ago. But I kind of want to dive into it a little bit more because it can be a little bit confusing to navigate. Especially whenever you’re starting to get stuff together to go teach abroad. I kind of want to take a look at TESOL, TESL, TEFL, CELTA certifications. Where you can get them. How much they are going to cost. What are they going to get me when I go to teach abroad.

What won’t they get me when I go to teach abroad. To kind of start things off, I do have my TESOL certificate that I got from a local University’s continuing education program. That’s always an option, I know a lot of local universities, they offer TESOL or TEFL certificate programs. Also, if you have a degree in education and you’re looking to teach abroad but in higher education, like the university systems, I know a lot of universities offer a Masters in TESOL.

So that’s definitely something to look into if you’re looking at teaching english in the more distant future, at a higher level. Another option for getting your TESOL or TEFL certificate, there’s this place online, Oxford Seminars, that offer a hybrid course where you spend 3 weekends in class and the rest of the course is online. I can’t attest to the quality of that class. A lot of times people are just looking for the paper saying that they got the TESOL or TEFL. I don’t suggest going about it that way. I think having a heavy course load does more to prepare you to teach than just getting a run of the mill piece of paper. But that’s always an option if you’re just looking to get the certificate. Another option is CELTA. Again, I can’t attest to the quality of this because I don’t have a CELTA or a TEFL from Oxford Seminars, but CELTA is another option. I think you have to go to one or two in class sessions, and the rest of it is online.

They may offer a course now thats all online. I just checked their website today and I think I saw something on there about an all online course. Now all of these going to run you between $1,500 and $2,000 for the course. It’s a little bit steep, but it is worth it, especially if you want options. You don’t need a TESOL or a TEFL or a CELTA to go teach english in Japan or China. You do need a TESOL to teach english in the government positions like EPIK or GEPIK in Korea. So the reason why you get a TESOL is because it gives you more options to teach other than your initial country. So say you go to Japan to teach english, and you don’t have a TESOL. You don’t like Japan, you don’t want to go home, so you want to go teach somewhere else, say Korea. Well you can’t get a job with the big companies in Korea because you don’t have a TESOL certificate. So now you have to figure out how you’re going to get a TESOL certificate to go teach.

That’s the reason why I say having aTESOL or a TEFL or a CELTA is important prior to leaving to go teach english because it keeps your options open, gives you a little more options to work with before you leave the country. With that being said, that’s about all I have for you guys today. If you like my videos, please like, share, comment. If you have any questions, leave me a comment in the comment section or send me an email. Please subscribe if you like my content, pass the video around. But thats about all I have for you guys today. I’m Preston, and this has been Grappler Going Abroad..